[Sussex] using apt in Xandros

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Wed Nov 27 20:50:00 UTC 2002

Geoff

On 27 Nov 2002 The ol' tealeg wrote:
> Steve wrote:
> > However I don't belive that the libdvdcss package is on any of the
> > Debian servers as it is NOT legally for DMCC reasons.  I would
> > recommend that you try the web.
>
> Correction.
>

> IANAL(BMWI)
>
> libdvdcss is not legal in the USA because the DMCA protects the license
> terms of the MPIAA in the USA.  In europe EU law overrides the license
> and you are perfectly within your rights to use libdvdcss.

I didn't make myself clear.  There was discussion on the Debian MLs about
whether it should carry CSS code because of the DMCC and most of the
servers are mirrored from the US ones.  As most of the Debian servers are
in the US US law is the overriding law in Debian.

With the crpto stuff being so numerious non-US areas are available for
such things but people within the US can't post to them legally.  But
the CSS code is a copyrighted (NOT a fedural law) and other country's
copyright law IS enforceable internationally Debian decided that it would
NOT put CSS into its offical archeives, but would provides links to sites
that provided Debian packages.

> You can find it as a deb package on the ogle website (Angelo and I found
> this linked from freshmeat) of Eric S Raymond (bravely) keeps this on
> his http://www.tuxedo.org site, along with the jargon file (highly
> recommended).

As I said - try the net.

> On a side note:
<snip>
> Any how, if I'd been "of age" in the decade I was born I would have been
> a happy man... the music was better, UNIX was the hot new thing and
> there was plenty of OS level coding still left out there for a man of
> moderate intelligence.  Of course if it was the 1970's I probably would
> have stuck it out as a session guitarist.. in the 1990's the Asda and
> Strongbow adverts were low enough for me to rethink my lice.. err typo..
> I mean life..

I doubt that you would have got your hands on UNIX at that time.  Most of
the work was being done in the terminal rooms of Unis - FreeBSD wasn't even
a glint in Kirk's eye.