[Sussex] Success!

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at krasnegar.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 29 22:43:00 UTC 2002

Dom

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 05:30:23PM -0000, Dominic Clay wrote:
> The compile went well, but when I reboot the new version (2.40) says:
>
> 'Failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major3, errno=2'
> 'VFS Cannot open root device 386 or 03:06'
> 'please append a correct root= boot option'
>
> What this all about :)

Sorry for not getting back sooner Dom, I was communiting home, then
there was tea...

Before when I've seen systems that don't boot it is because I've forgottne
to switch on the IDE or EXT2 support.  There have been some work in this
area so check the menu config options.  (cd /usr/src/linux-...; make menuconfig)
I nolonger have a linux 2.2.x kernel so I can tell you which options have been
added, but have a play :-)

General Setup --->
   PCI device name database
   Support for hot-pluggable devices

   PCMCIA/CardBus support --->
       CardBus support

   System V IPC
   Sysctl support

ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support --->
   ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support

   IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices  --->
       Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL disk/cdrom/tape/floppy support
       Include IDE/ATA-2 DISK support
	 Use multi-mode by default
       CMD640 chipset bugfix/support
       RZ1000 chipset bugfix/support
       Generic PCI IDE chipset support
	 Sharing PCI IDE interrupts support
	 Generic PCI bus-master DMA support
	 Use PCI DMA by default when available
	 Intel PIIXn chipsets support
	 PIIXn Tuning support

File systems
   Second extended fs support

I'm a little confused because the -s option on the modprobe says to use
the system logger - how much of the boot sequence works.  I'm guessing that
the kernel is turning control over to init just before you see this message.