[Sussex] What "INSIDE" is.

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Wed Oct 2 08:17:00 UTC 2002

Derek wrote:
============
> Here here on the congrats but what _is_ the insiders project
> - the website doesn't explain nor display much!

Aha.  INSIDE is a Nascent System for Information Distribution and Editing.

It, (in theory) works like this:

You use an INSIDE client to download a document (in these examples we'll say
it's a HOWTO on installing ALSA).

Case 1:
=======
We'll assume you are interested only in installing ALSA for your machine
which happens to have a Crystal Media CS4232 sound chip.  The client
presents you with a list of filters you may use, one of which is something
along the lines of "Soundcard = Crystal CS4232".  Selecting this filter will
filter out any parts of the document that have a key that includes
"Soundcard = SOME_SOUNDCARD" but doesn't include  "Soundcard = Crystal
CS4232".  What you'll end up with is a document with all the generic content
(how to Download and compile ALSA), some Crystal CS4232 specific content
(setting up /etc/modules.d/alsa or you Distro's equivalent (which could of
course be another filter option..)) and nothing irrelevant (ie. All that
Bunf about Soundblasters and GRavis Ultrasound set up won't appear because
it isn't relevant).

Case 2:
=======
You use your INSIDE client to download the ALSA HOWTO but discover it
doesn't have the information pertaining to your soundcard, an onboard Intel
i810.  Scouring the web you find out that your chipset is actually supported
by ALSA in the snd-intel8x0.o module.  The INSIDE client will allow you to
add a new value to the HOWTO filter "Soundcard" for "Soundcard = Intel
i810".  Once this is done you may also create content with that key (and
even create content under additional keys that didn't previously exist, ie.
"Distro") and submit your changes to be merged back into the HOWTO by the
INSIDE server.

Hopefully in conjunction with the content at the website that should now
make a little more sense.

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company