[Sussex] Anyone actually met any Gods ?

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Mon Oct 7 11:19:00 UTC 2002

CHaps..

Self professed Gods, hmm, yeah, every 2-a-penny VB or ASP programmer I ever
met.. generally because they think completing a series of MCSD courses makes
them better than Bjarne Stroustrup (or as they call him, "Benny who..?").

Generally these are the same guys who'll argue with you in strategy meetings
because they feel that your plan to build a 10,000 user app as a
browser-based application with some _serious_ sun kit at the back end
(running Oracle, because that's who we've got the deal with) would be a
terrible and costly solution.  They feel a much better idea for the company
would be a thick VB client running off an MS Access database on a NT 4
Server (which is, apparantly, robust because it can do level 2 RAID in
software) - usually they'll throw around the odd term like "DCOM" or "MTS"
that they remember hearing on the later part of their course, but which they
don't really understand.  Of course they say, what with Microsoft being such
a big company, you couldn't possibly get a better price/performance ratio
than good 'ol Access and VB.  "Scale?", they say, "Of course it'll scale,
it's Microsoft technology.  Did I mention what a big company they are, they
can't be wrong."

Often they'll say "what makes you think that your Sun box can be any more
secure than what Microsoft have to offer. They're a very big company, who
could possibly know better than them?".

Generally I leave the room muttering something like..

"Because you won't be able to install MS Outlook on a Solaris server as part
of your 'standard' build..."

Also falling into this category was an IT director at a former company who
expected all staff to come with an MCSE attached.  He refused to let us
employ a former Senior Sysadmin at Google as a UNIX Sysadmin purely because
he didn't have an MCSE... Barry (the IT Director) of course considered
himself to be not only a God, but quite possibly a complex collaboration of
entities (much like the holy trinity).  This obviosuly allowed him to have
gained IT omniscience in his 5 years experience as a FoxPro programmer....

*sigh*

--
GJT
geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company