[Sussex] Linux Firewall on a 50mg CD

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Tue Oct 8 10:45:01 UTC 2002

John Crowhurst wrote:
=====================
> I think there would be a problem here, if you want to customise the
> settings of the firewall - you would have to rebuild the CD
> every time.
> (assuming you don't have a hard drive in the firewall for
> extra security)

Agreed. However Mark said at the outset that he wanted to store the setup on
a floppy disk.

> Floppy based firewalls have the distinct advantage that the
> boot floppy
> can be removed, customised and the machine rebooted into
> those changes.
<snip>

Yes - this is a fair point.

I did see some project to provide tools for people to build their own custom
distros - don't remeber the name, but I imagine this would be too basic for
these purposes.

--
GJT
geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company