[Sussex] Linux takes on the Police

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Fri Oct 18 14:04:03 UTC 2002

On 18 October 2002 at 13:57 Geoff Teale wrote:
> Steve wrote:
> ------------
> > If you haven't seen it the link below shows that not all of the
> > UK Government are paying the M$ fees.
> >
> >  http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/27692.html
>
> Wow, some public sector organisations that realise M$FT is a
> waste of money on a major scale.

Just shows that the message is get there, slowly, but it is
getting there.

> I think the key thing here is that parliament doesn't really
> have any input on Police IT policy.

Parliament aren't above the Police - that's nice to know

> The public sector generally is heavily influenced by the
> government itself.  Why else do you think EDS get's to role
> out Exchange en-masse to the NHS with the extra money
> provided by our increased National Insurance.

But I would guess that EDS have shares in M$ and M$ have
shares in EDS.  Then it all makes sense.

> Of course, if the police are succesful it makes the IT
> strategy of most public sector / government departments
> look even more blantantly stupid and the tendering process
> more obviously corrupt!

What Government policy look stupid.  That could never happend.
Public accountablity just wouldn't allow it.  [ Boy do I wish
I lived in my dream world. ]

BTW I went to the Register to read the
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/28/27684.html.  But before
you read that ariticle just take  look at this:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/media/891.jpg