[Sussex] Red Hat 8.0

tdart at btinternet.com tdart at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 30 10:30:00 UTC 2002

Morning all

Geoff wrote

> Certainly didn't have any DHCP problems - my home network runs DHCP and
> everything ran as expected.

I added another 128 MB of memory and re-installed RH8, using the GUI installer, rather than text.This time I was asked if I wanted to specify a hostname and let the server assign an IP address - under text it was static IP and manual name or dhcp for IP AND name - and then it was unable to tie the 2 together.

Like Geoff, I then experienced no problems. One slight quirk was that the home, starther and wastebasket items are horizontally aligned at the top of the screen on the GUI install, and vertically on the text install (though I doubt this is of any significance).

Can anyone fill the clue gap on where the name was obtained from and stored on the RH8 box? The NT server does not use DNS.

Tony