[Sussex] the who/what/why/when of processes ( proc-i ? ;)

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Fri Sep 6 11:19:01 UTC 2002

> steve, this is pushing php a little - im using it more like perl, from
> the command line. its actually a irc bot that sits there and listens and
> responds to commands. i want to be able to start a new process for
> different rooms and also for things like searching the web ( i dont want
> the bot to stop responding while its searching ).

So how is PHP better than perl in the context?

Is PHP more efficient than perl in process control?

There are a few IRC bots written in perl already, and there is even one
for EwToo.

I think you will have a parent process that is a daemon, and forks
children in the form of the bots and the search tools.

I would think that PHP would be more of a memory and cpu hog, as it has
all its components compiled into it. This could be a disadvantage when it
comes to performance - Not that anyone would notice with IRC :P

--
John Crowhurst