[Sussex] Exim problems

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Mon Sep 9 11:49:00 UTC 2002

Geoff

From: Geoff Teale
> Steve wrote:
> ============
> > Have you installed the libxml-dev package.  This should
> > contain the header files and the static library.
>
> I installed libxmltok (I think).  libxml-dev sounds like a
> more promising name!

Your original e-mail talked about libxml (which looked like a
package name to me).  The Debian library package name is:
	lib<name>
	lib<name>-dev
	lib<name>-dbg
	lib<name>-doc
If you installed libxmltok then the development package will be
libxmltok-dev (there is such a package I've just checked).  This
is the package you'll need to develop.

Debian split the run-time stuff from the development stuff on
the grounds that users don't need the headers and static libraries.
Nice of them not to clutter up you disk space, no?

> I usually locate packages through the Debian website, but I'm
> finding this ineffectual.  dselect is a real _pain_in_the_bum_...
> is there an easier way of searching for packages to install?

Yes.

If you want a curses driven interface much improved from dselecte
then try aptitude (# apt-get install aptitude && aptitude).  But if
you just want to search try this:
	$ apt-cache search libxmltok
And if you want to see more:
	£ apt-cache show libxmltok libxmltok-dev

BTW: dselect was a quick hack just to see if it could be done.  The
original author admitted that he had no clue in designing a got
HCI and that it needed major work.  For years this was left undone.

> BTW.  The gentoo box will still be there for testing INSIDE and I can
> actually do something towards making a Mac OSX version available as well.
> I just think it would be best if we are both working on GCC 2.95 systems
> with a similar setup.  Currently my Gentoo box tends to be on the
> razor edge of LINUX technology!

I've decided to stick with Debian stable for awhile.