[Sussex] LINUX on Sun 64bit Kit

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Tue Sep 10 14:47:02 UTC 2002

Neil

> From: Neil Ford
> >> Because it's a branding issue, Sun want to sell you the boxes
> >> running a Sun OS, I believe.
> >
> > That thought had crossed my mind.  But I still see that as brain dead.
> > Someone is going to ask for the source, and get it into the kernel
anyway.

> I'll fully admit to never fully understanding GPL licensing
> (it's why I use FreeBSD by choice :-) ) but if they haven't added stuff to

> the kernel, can't they use closed source drivers which they don't need to
disclose.

If it is a binary driver only then yes, you are right.  LT has said that
he doesn't consider loadable modules to be part of the kernel (and therefore
covered by his interpretation of the GPL).  RMS, surprise surprise, has a
slightly
different PoV.   But I don't know of any source files in the Linux Kernel
that
a co-owned by the author and the FSF.   If there are any and a binary
modules
uses that code then the FSF lawyers might have a case...

> >> I don't have the full details, unfortunately.
> >
> > From Sun you never will.
> >
> But seeing as I'm drinking buddies with one of the senior developers.....
> :-)

But he is under an NDA not to disclose everything that does on...