[Sussex] Symbol SDT-1050

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Wed Sep 11 16:32:01 UTC 2002

Geoff

> From: Geoff Teale
> Steve wrote:
> ============
> > This might (only might) help.
> >
> > I know that Symbol make barcode scanners or various form fit
> > and function.
>
> Yup, can confirm that Symbol make barcode scanning kit.  (Rentokil)
> Initial Freight Forwarding used to use handheld bar code scanners
> that I had to interface with.
>
> I've not seen this exact model but most of are based on the
> old Psion 1 and 2 technology and can be communicated to (simply)
> with the protocols that those early Psion's used.  I have _no_
> idea if there is any LINUX support but we used to link these things
> to SCO UnixWare to feed warehouse systems.

Just had a thought (brain needs oiling).

Some of the Symbol kit that are used by our customers are simple
telnet clients the communicate (via RF and a base-station) to a
UNIX host.

Jon, you might like to try connecting your Symbol to your computer
via the modem.  It may then work like a telnet session, but the
message you posted suggest that maybe some kind of remote data
entry terminal.