[Sussex] Knuth going cheap

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Mon Sep 16 13:22:00 UTC 2002

SLUGS,

In case anyone who is interested doesn't have a copy already, Amazon is
currently selling  the boxed set of the three currently available volumes of
Donald Knuth's seminal work "The Art of Computer Programming" half price!

This link may work:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201485419/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/026
-7784989-2532443

That's £51.49 for the boxed set instead of the usual £102.99.  I've taken
the opportunity to replace my copies of volumes one and two (which fell
apart at Uni from over use and I sadly had to throw away.) with a nice set.

Delivery time is unfortunately 3-5 weeks, but that's normal - this is not
the sort of book you find in Waterstones.

If you don't know of the book then you probably aren't interested but for
the record this multi-volume epic was started before I was born and volume
four will be hitting the streets some time in the next year or so.  In the
process of writing these books Donald Knuth got so upset by bad typesetting
that he decided to hack out a solution.  Thus, "The Art of Computer
Programming" begat TeX which begat LaTeX and so on and so forth.

The book also has an open source ethic of sorts.  Donald Knuth encourages
people to send in any mistakes they find in the text and rewards them with a
nice cheque if they find a real mistake.  The value of the cheques has gone
up somewhat as the books get older (and less buggy).  If you find a mistake
in Volume 1 now you're likey to net yourself a healthy little sum. :)  Thus
the community debugs the book.

--
Geoff Teale
geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company