wireless Linux (was RE: [Sussex] Good tip for recovering from catastrophe)

Neil Ford neil at smudgypixels.net
Thu Sep 19 08:04:01 UTC 2002

On 16/9/02 11:42 am, "Matthew Macdonald-Wallace"
<matthew.wallace at interactwiththe.net> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> First of all, thanks for the advice.
>
> Having realised that in order to get to my ADSL link I need wireless access(!)
> I decided to skip Gentto and stick with deadrat. I've compiled the kernel with
> every single pcmcia option I could find and have now varied this over the
> course of the last few days doing about 5 or 6 compiles yesterday alone...
>
> I now have a new problem:
>
> The card is half-recognised (I get an error about the vendor name not
> existing) however iwconfig picks it up and will assign it the right SSID
> etc...
>
> ifconfig -a tells me that eth0 is up and running and has an IP address/subnet
> mask that is corect for my network
>
> I can't get one to talk to the other tho.  Is it as simple as doing an ln -s
> (I'm thinking not!) or is there a special way of binding pcmcia cards to
> eth0?  I've checked out all the faqs I can find about installing a zoomair
> card under linux and all they say is, "Well, install pcmcia_cs, install the
> prism drivers and Hey Presto! It works!". well, not on my system it don't
>
> All help much appreciated,
>
> TIA
>
> Matt

What version of DeadRat? The later versions had all the relevant stuff in
there, no kernel compile should be required.

The Lucent based cards (Orinoco, Avaya, Buffalo) were all basically plug and
play under 7.something and above.

If I get a chance I'll dig out the laptop I did the config on and work out
what's required.

Neil.
--
Neil Ford