[Sussex] [SWRU] Microsoft is From Mars, Open Source is from Venus.

jon at 3ait.co.uk jon at 3ait.co.uk
Tue Apr 1 11:16:01 UTC 2003

I think you'll find that it's legal to purchase alkeyhol for anyone over
the age of 5 in a licenced public bar, at the discresion of the landlord.
They're also not allowed to be in the bar area, seperated with different
colour flooring around the bar, or if there is no clear indication, it
extends 3 feet from the base of the bar. This is all EU law, and i believe
is legal over here. At least that's what i've been told by my family
members (one's a head chef in a bar, the other is a fully trained bar
manager, and my stepdad used to run a nightclub)

> The same offence as buying cigarettes for "minors" (under 16 in the case
> of tobacco products) whether it's you buying them or the corner shop
> selling them to you for the line of kids waiting outside

This is indeed true. However, you have to actually prove that they
intended to pass the cigarettes to the children (when serving) or you can
be accused of harassment, and for most companies this is frowned on. It's
not however frowned upon to ask for ID - as I've done with people abot
30/40 years of age before, as I knew they were going to pass the cigs to
minors - no ID, no sale :)

> Known as "Trafficking"!

However, the chances of being prosecuted for it are pretty damn slim -
police have better things to do than nick the odd bloke here and there for
selling cigs to minors or serving underage in a bar :)

Jon <drinking since he was 14>

believed to be clean.