[Sussex] JBoss on Gentoo

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Thu Apr 3 14:38:01 UTC 2003

Domonatrix wrote:
-----------------
<snip>
> I was thrilled to find that JBoss was listed as part of the
> portage tree!!!!
> I found it by doing the following:

> tabitha root # emerge search jboss
> Searching...
> [ Results for search key : jboss ]
> [ Applications found : 1 ]
>
> *  net-www/jboss [ Masked ]
>       Latest version available: 3.0.6
>       Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
>       Size of downloaded files: 20,586 kB
>       Homepage:    http://www.jboss.org

I spy the words [Masked] I think I know what is coming...

> tabitha root # emerge -p jboss
>
> These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies
> !!! all ebuilds that could satisfy "jboss" have been masked.
>
> !!! Error calculating dependancies. Please correct.
> tabitha root #

Yup.. that's what I was expecting ;)

> So, I know I have read stuff about masked packages somewhere
> but, where do I
> go from here to install this?

Right then, firstly, this is masked for a good reason there is no guarantee
that this package is 100% stable - most likely it is because it relies on
something that is unstable.

You have three options:

1.
==
Use the specific .ebuild file.  I don't have gentoo infront of me so I can't
give exact syntax (ie. the version numbers will not be rigth), but try this:

	emerge -p /usr/portage/net-www/jboss/jboss-1.1-r1.ebuild

the risk here is that there are dependencies that are also masked, so the
install will still fail.  Fortunately this is only an `emerge -p` so you'll
see this before you start pulling it.

2.
==
Unmask the package in /usr/portage/profiles/packages.mask - that is, find
the entry and comment it out or change the operation to allow a higher
version - typically comments in this file will tell you why it is masked.
See http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/portage-manual.xml#doc_chap4 for more
information.

3.
==
Add the following to your /etc/make.conf file:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"

.. this tells Gentoo to live on the bleeding edge, it will pull the latest
version of any package when an emerge is requested, ignoring the masks
completely (note, if you are using  a PPC machine or a SPARC machine you
need to use ~PPC or ~SPARC otherwise you'll start pulling x86 source
instead!).

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

"And I hope that you die and your death'll come soon
I will follow your casket in the pale afternoon
And I'll watch while you're lowered down to your deathbed
And I'll stand o'er your grave 'til I'm sure that you're dead"
 - Bob Dylan, a pacifist :-)

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company