[Sussex] We can screen it! - portable projector

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Fri Apr 4 12:41:00 UTC 2003

Mark

On 04 April 2003 at 11:52 Mark Harrison wrote:
<snip>
> You do NOT have the legal right to broadcast a movie around a
> network without the copyright holder's permission. You do not
> have the right to play a movie in a public place without the
> copyright holder's permission.  Hence the need to get the
> permission, which we have done.

I was taking a side shot at one's right to take a legal backup
which also stops you broadcasting.

Software, or any system IMHO, should not stop you from doing
something illegal if it also stops you from doing something
which you are legal allowed to do.  If that was applied to
every thing then no car in the UK would be able to do more
than 70mph.  HiFi could not be turned up "loud".  Blank VHS
tapes would automatically return to the blank state a few weeks
after being recorded.

> The concept of "fair use" is a US concept - it does not exist
> in UK law.

Look's like you fell foul of Mr. IANAL(BMWI) Teale - welcome to
the club :-)