[Sussex] php build in gentoo

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Fri Apr 11 09:29:01 UTC 2003

> Thanks,  that sounds good, but I am also interested in
> finding out about
> using php as a CLI scripting language.

Ah.. it certainly does seem to be a very flexible tool.

> I think the problem may lie deeper than this as the problems
> allways seem to
> relate to locks during the creation of the .lo files. (But it
> was definately
> true that an older version did compile properly!)

Most odd.  As I mentioned before, .lo files are just GNU Libtool's
identifier for what would normally be .o files.  The .lo indicates that
these files are compiled with Position Independent Code (PIC) and are thus
are suitable to be linked into .so files - shared objects (what you find in
/lib or /usr/lib for example, like DLL's in Windows).

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

"An alcoholic is someone you don't like who drinks as much as you."
-- Dylan Thomas

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company