[Sussex] scanners

john davis big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Apr 13 19:41:01 UTC 2003

Thanks for the prompt reply Geoff,

Being a linux nugget, I don't really understand what I am doing - just
guessing really so from your post (followed in true "monkey see, monkey do"
style)

On Sunday 13 Apr 2003 5:37 pm, Geoff Teale wrote:
snip
 [tealeg at beast tealeg]$su -
 1\ mount the USB filesystem:
 [root at beast root]$mount /proc/bus/usb

It didn't like this and the dialogue said
mount: none already mounted or /proc/bus/usb busy
mount: according to mtab, none is already mounted on /proc/bus/usb

 2\ Find out what devices show up in the USB filesystem:
 [root at beast root]$cat /proc/bus/usb/devices

[root at localhost john]# cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
<snip>
P:  Vendor=04b8 ProdID=011d Rev= 1.00
S:  Manufacturer=EPSON
S:  Product=EPSON Scanner
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr=  2mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=ff Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   1 Ivl=16ms
E:  Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=03(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms

So that tells me that the system can see the scanner - I think?

 4\ OK, now you need to reload the scanner module so your using kernel
 support rather than libusb (as you text seemed to show).  To do this you
 do:

 [root at beast root]$rmmod scanner
 [root at beast root]$modprobe scanner vendor=0x4b8 product=0x011d

I then got this which I don't understand

[root at localhost john]# rmmod scanner
rmmod: module scanner is not loaded

So I pressed ahead with your instructions and did

[root at localhost john]# modprobe scanner vendor=0x4b8 product=0x011d

Which just dropped me back into a root prompt so then I tried

 5\ Make a new user group called scanner and add your user into that group
 and then do the following:

 [root at beast root]$chgrp scanner /dev/usb/scanner0

[root at localhost john]# chgrp scanner /dev/usb/scanner0
chgrp: invalid group name `scanner'

Now as an aside, since booting back into the mandrake I now have an "xsane
/dev/usb/scanner0" icon, and after looking at the preferences the group
appears to be called " root" so I tried

[root at localhost john]# chgrp root /dev/usb/scanner0

Which returned a root prompt and

 [root at beast root]$chmod 660 /dev/usb/scanner0

[root at localhost john]# chmod 660 /dev/usb/scanner0

6\Come back to your normal user:

 [root at beast root]$exit

Done

So I then try

[john at localhost john]$ sane-find-scanner

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
that
  # you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x011d) at /dev/usb/scanner0
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x011d) at libusb:001:002
  # A USB device was detected. This program can't be sure if it's really
  # a scanner. If it is your scanner, it may or may not be supported by

  # Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports can't
be
  # detected by this program.

  # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
  # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
  # necessary.

I then tried clicking the xsane icon and got the licence agreement, followed
by the "xsane - no devices available" again.

So after re-reading your post I did

[root at localhost john]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
<snip>
scanner                 9140   0
<snip, snip>
usb-uhci               21676   0  (unused)
usbcore                58304   1  [scanner usb-uhci]
</snip>

what else do I need to do/check?

regards

A much calmer and collected, saner? John D
--
I wonder what they had on the sweet trolley, the night the Titanic went down?