[Sussex] scanners

Geoff Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Sun Apr 13 20:15:01 UTC 2003

On Sunday 13 April 2003 19:40, john davis wrote:
> Thanks for the prompt reply Geoff,

S'alright :)

> Being a linux nugget, I don't really understand what I am doing - just
> guessing really so from your post (followed in true "monkey see, monkey do"
> style)

OK.

<snip>
> [john at localhost john]$ sane-find-scanner
>
>   # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
> that
>   # you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

<snip>

OK, you did everything fine up until the part where I said to make a new group
called scanner.  For the moment don't worry about this, just boot your
machine and log in as root rather than as john and then try firing up xsane.

It sounds like you machine is recognising the scanner OK, and loading the
correct modules, you just simply don't have rights to talk to the scanner
from the user account 'john'.

If it works OK under root then we'll go through getting it to work as 'john' .

--
GJT
Free Software Foundation
tealeg at member.fsf.org