[Sussex] SuSE 8.2

Geoff Teale sussex at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Apr 20 17:47:00 UTC 2003

On Sunday 20 April 2003 5:16 pm, David Chapman wrote:
> Just wondering if anybody has tried SuSE 8.2 yet.
> Their does not seem much  to upgade for. Unless KDE 3.1 and Gnome 2.2 are
> that good.

Well ,they are both very good, but you could retrofit them to 8.1 if you so
wish.

The answer is that SuSE have put a lot of effort into fixing and improving
Yast2 and YOU and in generally tidying up and looking more professional in
order to compete with Red Hat.  I imagine you'd look at Red Hat 9 and think
hang on, this really is only a tidied up Red Hat 8.0, and you'd be right.
This is a sign of the maturity of the OS, the outer layers are now changing
much more slowly and we're moving toward standardisation on a number of
layers.

Personally I'd hold off and wait for the 2.6 kernel based versions, thats
where you'll notice some bigger changes.

--
GJT
tealeg at member.fsf.org