[Sussex] Salutations!

Alan Fitton alanjf88 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 20 21:03:01 UTC 2003

Hi, i just saw the link for this user group in the Linux Magazine (reading
material to keep some sanity on a stressful weekend away). Until now i have
been unaware of any Linux users in the area, it's great to see this user
group. I thought I'd introduce myself :)

I live in Easebourne, just outside of Midhurst.

I run Slackware 9 which i keep very up-to-date, it's easily the best Linux
distribution I've come across after using a few versions of RedHat and
Mandrake but not quite getting it working with my hardware or to my likeing
to make it my primary OS.

Anyone in Midhurst that hasn't already should head over to
broadband4midhurst.co.uk and make your pre-registration for ADSL. A friend
runs the site and i help here and there.

On my P4 box I use it as a general purpose desktop
(GNOME/KDE/Wmaker/Blackbox mostly). I also have a quite ancient box (no
XF86) which, for now, Is for learning/messing around with Linux, when ADSL
becomes available in Midhurst i will run it as a dedicated server running
Apache+mod_php, sendmail, popa3d, MySQL, BNC. It is quite a wreck really -
100mhz, 32MB RAM, no video/sound card, monitor, mouse, keyboard (all is done
via SSH) but it manages to do its tasks reasonably well. When Midhurst gets
ADSL it will probably host a forum for broadband4midhurst.co.uk where people
can seek advice and support with our new technology!.

I currently dont know any programming languages, just some very basic perl,
tcl and bash scripting (none of which really count!).

I look forward to taking part in discussions soon.

Regards,
Alan