[Sussex] Salutations!

Adam Smith adam at k1z.com
Mon Apr 21 14:43:01 UTC 2003

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 21:02:37 +0100
"Alan Fitton" <alanjf88 at hotmail.com> wrote:

Guess I'm a little late with this one but here goes anyway.

> Hi,

Hi!

> I run Slackware 9 which i keep very up-to-date, it's easily the best Linux
> distribution I've come across after using a few versions of RedHat and
> Mandrake but not quite getting it working with my hardware or to my likeing
> to make it my primary OS.

Gentoo > Slackware ;-).

> Anyone in Midhurst that hasn't already should head over to
> broadband4midhurst.co.uk and make your pre-registration for ADSL. A friend
> runs the site and i help here and there.

It's been a long time coming but our exchange was finally upgraded for ADSL on the 16th of this month.  I'd already registered with Zen on the 28th March in preparation for this momentous date.  They gave me a switch-on date of the 23rd but I plugged in my router just for the hell of it on the 18th and it worked!  So here I am on lovely fast ADSL, updating Gentoo like there's no tomorrow!  They've given me a nice static IP too which will be useful for collecting mail while I'm out with the help of Squirrelmail/Courier-IMAP.  Good luck with your getting broadband though.

<snip> becomes available in Midhurst i will run it as a dedicated server running
> Apache+mod_php, sendmail, popa3d, MySQL, BNC. It is quite a wreck really -
> 100mhz, 32MB RAM, no video/sound card, monitor, mouse, keyboard (all is done
> via SSH) but it manages to do its tasks reasonably well. When Midhurst gets
> ADSL it will probably host a forum for broadband4midhurst.co.uk where people
> can seek advice and support with our new technology!.

My server running all of the above + more is only a p200 with 96mb of EDO RAM and it copes quite admirably, AND it's running Gentoo!  Not sure about hosting forums on your ADSL connection though, depends how busy they are I suppose, forums are bandwidth-hogging beasts when you've got a few people using them at one time.

> I currently dont know any programming languages, just some very basic perl,
> tcl and bash scripting (none of which really count!).

I found PHP was a good starting point, very easy to pick up and produce some pretty amazing results with with minimal knowledge and helped teach me the basic principles of programming.

> I look forward to taking part in discussions soon.

Hope to see you at a meet sometime, although I probably won't be making it to one until I'm driving now.