[Sussex] Lurking

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Fri Apr 25 12:05:01 UTC 2003

Robb wrote:
-----------
> I suppose it's about time to say hello as I've been lurking
> around these parts now for some time. It's not that I enjoy
> my full time lurking status it's just that my knowlege of
> computers never mind linux is in a state of infancy and most
> of whats said is quite simply over my head.

Well, the best way to learn is to do and to ask.  This is why we always
discourage lurking.  That said, if you feel you're learning things just by
watching, then that's good to.  Just remember, no matter how high level the
discussion most people on this list will be happy to explain the concepts
involved.

> On that note I wondered if anyone could tell me (or point me
> towards some reading) what 'non-US' means, I went to download
> tripwire today and noticed it was 'non-US' yet you could
> download it from North America, and does it have anything to
> do with not being able to apt-get install tripwire?

I'll leave this to the Debian users on the list, I suspect this has
something to do with the law concerning the import and export of certain
types of software, but I could be very wrong.

> Hope you all enjoyed the meet, I supposed knowone noticed me
> in the shadows.....

Which one were you?  I have a hard time putting names to all the faces these
days!

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having
 to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
               [Douglas Adams' take on religion]

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company