[Sussex] (no subject)

steve at dobson.org steve at dobson.org
Sat Apr 26 13:36:02 UTC 2003

Hi Scoot and welcome to SLUG.

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 12:20:44PM +0100, Scoot wrote:
> I'm new here, very new.

Newness is not a problem in and of itself, there are a number of other
newbies and some have even de-lurked.  However, the more active members
of the list can be a a bit geeky at time (pointing finger at self).  If
there is something you don't understand then just ask.

> I installed Linux the other week and took a look around the 'net to see
> any LUG's in the area so, when (not if), I am completely lost, perhaps
> someone could point a little and maybe giggle a fair bit, but eventually
> tell me what I need to know, in regards to any problems I might have.

We all get a little lost from time to time. As far I know most lost soles
on this list have been pointed in a direction to get them back on the "One
true path that is Linux" :-)

> I came across SLUG's site the other day (in my fifteen seconds online
> thanks to a combination of Eurobells' extortionate pay-as-you-go rate
> and the absence of a BT line and/or credit card).

He rantith already - he is strong in the ways of the rant.

> Aaanyhow.... I was thinking about turning up at the Kings Head for the
> 24th April but I couldn't see what time you were meeting, and I must
> admit,  the thought of just turning up in the morning and waiting in
> the bar 'till someone else appeared was quite appealing.  However,
> after just two (many) beers, strolling up to people asking if they
> were related in any way with a SLUG resulted in...well I wasn't there
> to meet any of you.

We generally me from about 19:00 onwards (as some of us have jobs to do
[but I like the idea of an all day SLUGmoot + beer]) - some of us get
there a bit eariler and some later - there's no fixed time so just come
along in the evening.  Next meeting May 29th.

> Ok, ok, so maybe the above isn't strictly true, but I would be
> interested in coming over and seeing what is going on, only as I
> said I couldn't see what time you were meeting

Don't spoil a good story with the true :-)

> PS:
>  1) Is there any cost involved? I only ask because Crawley Computer
>     Club want money to attend.

We take no fee, but if you would like to buy one or two people a beer
then that would be a nice gesture - (you may even get one or two back
in return :-) ).

>  2) The rant at Eurobell was/is true...and justified....and well....

This LUG accepts and enjoys a good rant.  See the slug archeives for
some of mine, Geoff's, Nik's, Dom's, ...