[Sussex] thanks and questions

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Sat Apr 26 17:40:00 UTC 2003

> Steve,
>
> I got as far as the
> <snip>
>> fdisk /dev/hda   <- Run the command
>>    p                  <- Print the partition table
>>    q                  <- Quit fdisk
> <snip>
>
> which gave me
>
> /dev/hda1   *         1      5663  45488016    7  HPFS/NTFS
> /dev/hda2          5664     14589  71698095   83  Linux
>
> So I thought in the short term, I'd go for option 1 and

What you could try is the command, free:

#free
Mem:        190636     186216       4420          0      61324      12420
-/+ buffers/cache:     112472      78164
Swap:       128516        768     127748

Which, on my system shows that I have 192M (128M+64M), with 128M swap. Its
one of the easiest commands to show swap on the system.

Some systems use a swapfile on disk, rather than a partition. This can be
a bit of a pain to configure, and you need to add the swapon command to
one of your startup rc files to make it work properly.

There is a rule about swap, where it has to be 2xRAM, which when I built
the machine, it only had 64M in it, and as I've been too lazy to build a
new disk for it.

This site gives more precise details about swapfiles, creating them and
what sizes they have to be:
http://dev.panopticsearch.com/swapfile-notes.html

--
John