[Sussex] SPAM

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Mon Apr 28 11:57:01 UTC 2003

Geoff / Gareth

I'm replying to the original but I have read the rest.

On 28 April 2003 at 09:23 Geoff Teale wrote:
> The list is attracting a whole load of SPAM right now (Gareth
> and I reject this when it is caught, so it never hits the list)
> I've also noted that a lot of SPAM is coming in on the accounts
> listed as Admin accounts on the mailman website.
>
> As the e-mail addresses of certain members appear regularly
> in the on-line archives I wanted to check to see if anyone
> here has noted a recent upturn in the amount of SPAM you recieve.
> I felt you guys shold be aware that being on this list may
> increase the likelihood of you receiving SPAM - sensible
> precautions in how and where you publish your e-mail address
> should apply.

I receive a lot of SPAM anyway - anymore from SLUG-ML I wouldn't
notice.  My e-mail address is already better published in the
Debian archives :-(

Although the mailman archives don't have the email addresses the
posting (individual) do.  Personally I don't mind this, but some
might.  To me SPAM is one of the evils of life.  I agree that it
is best to keep the archives open to Google if it is getting us
members.

What about a presentation on spamassassin?  I know I could use
some pointers in its set-up (it's on my to-do list :-) I've become
quite adept at spotting SPAM and hitting the delete key).