[Sussex] Mailserver...

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Mon Apr 28 14:37:01 UTC 2003

Mark

On 28 April 2003 at 13:44 Mark Harrison
> Here's what I need in a server:
>
> - Will send SMTP messages (via a username/password protected
> SMTP relay at my ISPs)
>
> - Will poll multiple POP3 accounts into different accounts
>
> - Will support IMAP clients (failing that, MAPI)
>
> - Will give some web front-end for when I'm at a location
> that won't give me IMAP access.
>
> - Costs nothing :-)
>
> Any ideas?

This sounds like a combination of my laptop and workstation configs.

Solution:

1). Find a free hardware (you did say that it had to be free).

2). Install Debian (base includes exim which is a full MTA) and configure
    exim to use a SMARTHOST (your outbound ISP's mail server).

3). Add the user account and configure all mail to be routed to it.
    (/etc/aliases)

4). Install fetchmail and configure it to pull the mail from you various
    ISPs.

5). Install one of the IMAP daemon (there are a number: cyrus-impd,
    uw-imapd, or uw-impd-ssl [can't remember which one I installed])

6). Install one of the webmail servers (aeromail, sqwebmail [haven't
    played with any of these personally])