[Sussex] Straw Poll

Trevor Marshall trevorm at rusham.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 28 20:33:02 UTC 2003

On Monday 28 Apr 2003 14:28, Geoff Teale wrote:

Replying to this - although I've read the thread to date....

> ..this might start some discussion (and traditionally, flaming) but I am
> actually genuinely
> interested to know:

I can hardly think of a better way to start a flame war...

> What editor, ide or wordprocesssor do you use, why and how do you pronounce
> its name?

vi/vim for most things (normally pronounced vi, occasionally pronounced
vee-eye, never pronounced 6), occasionally gvim (pronouced gvim). If I'm
coding I'll probably turn syntax highlighting on - I find it does make it
easier to find some typos.

I learnt to use vi a long time ago, after having used the 'EDIT' line editor
on SYSTEMS/Gould/Encore kit it was a real luxury.  I'm afraid I could never
be faffed to learn emacs.

As for the vi vs vim debate, on my system vi *is* vim as a quick ls -l `which
vi` demonstrates:

trevorm> ls -l `which vi`
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            3 Sep 29  2001 /usr/bin/vi -> vim

And it's also  view, rvim, ex, and some other stuff besides.  An excellent
demonstration of what argv[0] is for :-)

Of course, the reason that vi is so awkward to use is that it's a visual
front end grafted onto 'ex' which is just a line editor.

As for an IDE, well... at work there's, ahem, Visual Studio, and all that
that implies, although I don't have to *like* it - and it does evil things to
files that have proper line endings: it happily adds in its new lines with
b****y \r\n on the end so you have a file with lines with a mix of \n and
\r\n endings.  How tacky is that?

At home, for Java, there's netbeans.  Keep meaning to take a look at eclipse,
but haven't found the time/need yet.

Word processing - what's that?  Documentation is normally just text, or
occasionally HTML, and vi's quite good for that.  If that's not good enough
then OOo for 90% of stuff, and M$ Office when I have to deal with the odd
document that breaks with OOo.

--
Trevor Marshall