[Sussex] Straw Poll

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Mon Apr 28 21:04:01 UTC 2003

> a) vi / vim / kvim / gvim
vee eye or veye
Hysterically when I worked at Demon, there were no other editors
installed. The status messages are still edited in vi (actually its called
vile, nothing related to the vile editor, except that it was, quite simply
vile! It generated diffs of the edited file and mailed them to all the
admins!)

> b) GNU Emacs / XEmacs / Gosmacs
Eeeeee macks
The backend to info

> f) joe
joe :P

This is my favourite editor, and when you get bored of the key mappings,
you can change them (or symlink it to another name and it reads a
different keymap file)

> i) ed
ed

I've used ed in the form of edline when I worked at Inet, but I rapidly
worked out that the program was so dire that I started to use sed to edit
files instead. This was on systems that vi was not an option, simply
because the terminal type was broken for some bizarre reason (RTMX)

> j) a.n. other editor
I wrote a text editor in Tk when I worked at Demon, solely for editing the
TkReport (a journal which any logged on admin could read, and any DSOC
admin would regularly add a tome of information as to why a server had
croaked and died, and what they did to the poor thing to restart it. Oh
and the output of nocol was feed into it, showing coloured responses of
the machines as they paged up and down, graphically and audiably)
--
John