[Sussex] vi, Emacs and VIPER

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Wed Apr 30 10:43:01 UTC 2003

Geoff

On 30 April 2003 at 10:27 Geoff Teale wrote:
<snip>
> Technically speaking, Viper is a Vi emulation package for
> Emacs.  It implements all Vi and Ex commands, occasionally
> improving on them and adding many new features.  It gives
> the user the best of both worlds: Vi keystrokes for editing
> combined with the power of the Emacs environment.

I though the vi emulation in Emacs was vile (I know that that
name has been used elsewhere) back when I started using Emacs
5 - 10 years ago.

Just to play devils advocate from our vi/emacs rant (more
tomorrow).
    This also gives you the worst of both worlds:  The
    un-intuitive interface or vi with the large run-time
    image that is Emacs :-)