[Sussex] Challenge

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Wed Apr 30 16:45:09 UTC 2003

> you've side-stepped the need to represent 0.1 itself by using
> alternative representation.

Not at all. Both Steve and I have given a model for expressing 0.1 (decimal) in
a way that's capable of manipulation on a binary computer.

How you represent numbers on computers is a big topic in its own right... and
we've not sidestepped that - we've both tackled it head on and given a concrete
example of why most modern languages DON'T simply use 0=0, 01=1, 10=2, 11=3,
100=4 as their only way of representing numbers.

My version majored on mathematical rigout. Steve's majored on programming
expressability.

I don't think that either was a fudge at all.

Regards,

Mark