[Sussex] Newbie to the list

Geoff Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Mon Aug 4 09:24:00 UTC 2003

Steve Dobson wrote:
------------------------

> But the machine I was saw doing it was a mother of a home system.  Dell had
> to get special US Government approval to ship Geoff his super-computer
> class system.  To give Geoff's systems it's dues it was doing a full build.
>  I don't know the Gentoo term for it.  But it still took all weekend.  I've
> done major upgrades on my old laptops and an 56K (as if I ever get that
> connection rate) modem in less than 12 hours.

I would suggest that if you are happy with Debian then there is't a lot of
point building a Gentoo box, especially as you're on dial-up!

As a frame of reference here, on the machine in question, the Stage1 build
(that is compiling absolutely everything including the GCC and GNU tools that
are used to compile everything else) all the way to a machine with
KDE3,Gnome2.2, Evolution, Mozilla 1.5beta, CUPS, OpenOffice, Emacs, XMMS,
Grip, Quake3 and UT2003 and Urban Terror takes around 16 hours in total.  It
takes a whole weekend only because I'm away from the screen doing other
things a lot of the time and thus the machine is idle.

THe last emerge -u world I did took 45 minutes and the last emerge system I
did took roughyl twice that time.

Obviously people with less powerful machines can expect longer times.  Having
broadband makes a lot of difference as well.  Things like Urban Terror have
very little compile time, but a lot of media files.

--
GJT
gteale at cmedltd.com
--