[Sussex] Mozilla & glibc

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at krasnegar.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 10 01:49:01 UTC 2003

Gavin

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 11:54:55PM +0100, Gavin Stevens wrote:
> I decompressed the Mozilla -sea.tar.gz & found the readme. It looks fine &

> in fact reveals an installer waiting to do its thing
(./mozilla-installer).
> All I need to find is glibc 2.2.4 or higher, which Mozilla requires.

! ! ! ! ! Danger Will Robinson Danger ! ! ! ! !

The glibc package is the GNU C library.  Almost all C programs are compiled
against libc (the only notable exception is the kernel itself).  If you
recompile and install a newer version of libC you _will_ end up breaking
a lot of programs.

Debian woody (stable) looks to be based on glibc 2.2.5 (there is a security
patch against glibc-doc-2.2.5-11.5).  I don't have a woody machine anymore
so I can't check for you).

However, I think that all you are missing is the development bits for your
version of glibc.  When a library is packaged under Debian it is broken up
into at least two bits:

  1). The shared library that programs compiled against need, and
  2). The developers bits that are only needed when compiling.

Install the package "libc6-dev" which will install the developers bits
you need and then try re-compiling mozilla.