[Sussex] A Tale of Two Servers.....

nik at wired4life.org nik at wired4life.org
Wed Aug 13 19:39:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 03:55:48AM -0400, Steve Dobson wrote:
> We warned young Nik, as more and more people turn to Linux then so
> to will the crackers.  It will be intresting to see how secure Linux
> remains when Linux becomes a common desktop OS with John Q. Moron in
> charge of it.

here goes some bad Function driven algorithms.

Um, but lets jut review this... the crackers are a equal amount of
people dedicated to the simple or diffucult challenge of breaking
systems. The amount of crackers [c] will not grow or diminish depending
on operating system utilisiation

Now lets look at a good open and available network, the internet, of
which the best source for stats on machine utilisation is netcraft.
Accordingly it suggests that MS holds less than 20% utilisation of
always on hosts. So Im discounting PCs and Home computers im just
looking for open targets that have been around for a period of time.

So Unix [u] and Micosoft [m] share the internet about 80/20.

Now U has actually been running the net and delivering services for a
longer time than M so lets adjust the percentage ... okay how to do
this. lets say the net has been online for about 20 years of which M has
used only 1/4 of that time.

so now we have 95% U and 5%m where c can write and attack the net.

So wheres all the Really bad nasty damaging annoying continual network
crippling Viruses ? And how come if M comprises 5% of the net it results
in 80% utilisation of news media and interuptions ?

just my two pence... and actually its a article SCRIBBED from work done
by Eddie Bleasedale at Netprojects.

--
nik at wired4life.org	http://www.wired4life.org/	Wired4Life, an Answer.

MATH AND ALCOHOL DON'T MIX! Please, don't drink and derive. Mathematicians Against Drunk Deriving