[Sussex] Mozilla & glibc

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Thu Aug 14 08:02:01 UTC 2003

Gavin

On 13 Aug 2003 Gavin Stevens wrote:
> I got a replacement set of CDs this morning (Wed) but still not working.
>
> I'm baffled - the 2.2r4 CDs work fine, but cannot get the Woody CDs to
> work. Tried apt-cdrom add & it wouldn't mount the CD, yet other CDs
> (Debian 2.2r4, audio CDs & even a SUSE 7 CD from Linux Format [I want
> to rpm Star Office 5.2 from it]) all work fine. I will take the lid
> off my machine just to check connections, but all evidence so far
> says that my hardware is OK.

Sorry but I can't really help here.  I only have two sets of Debian
media now.  An old slink (2.0) CD I got from a conference yeats ago
and a pre-3.0 DVD about one year ago.

These are only used to do a minimal install and then I point apt at the
net and "apt-get dist-upgrade".

You might try commenting out any entries in /etc/apt/sources.list first.
Also make sure that /dev/cdrom points to you CDROM device.  From what I
remember the CD shouldn't be mounted before you run "apt-cdrom".

<snip>

> I'm all for upgrading over the net, but how long will it take? We only
> have one 'phone line & my partner needs it for her business most days.
> It would be fine if it could be done in stages.

I will take hours, but you don't need to do it all in one go.  apt-get
uses wget to get the packages so even if you Ctrl-C 95% of the way
of getting a large deb one you restart the command it will continue
where it left off.

You partner may need it during the day but that still leaves you hours
over night when you are both asleep.  I often leave the upgrade running
while I'm aleep, out shoping, etc...

<snip>

> My intention - when I have some CDs that work - is to use apt-cdrom
> add & then upgrade. This seems a much better idea than starting all
> over again, especially as I have 2.2r4 running so nicely.

<snip>

> I will gladly read the howto just to be sure.

I do suggest it, there is a lot of info in there.