[Sussex] Upgrading Debian (was Mozilla & glibc)

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Fri Aug 15 00:03:01 UTC 2003

Hi Steve & all,

OK, so I've now got dselect pointing at the relevant sites to upgrade &
keep up to date. It got the updated list of packages earlier, so all seems
to be working.

Am I right in thinking that when I want to do the upgrade, it will replace
anything already installed, but won't store or download the whole
distribution onto my HD? This might sound like a rather thick question, but
I ask it anyway because it might not be too bad upgrading what I have, as
opposed to downloading everything. When I ran Windows, I didn't shy away
from downloading Star Office 5.2 all in one go (80+ MB).

Just out of interest (I had the luxury of some time this afternoon), I
decided to try the rogue Woody CDs from CheepLinux on the 3 computers here
at home ( I was a bit miffed with them when they said it must be some
incompatibility with my CD-R & that the CDs definitely worked). In each
case I temporarily altered the BIOS to boot from CDROM. Here's what each
had to say:

Machine 1 (my computer): Started to boot & gave the opening screen, but
failed when I pressed ENTER.
Machine 2 (my partner's): Started to boot after flashing the error message
given on Machine 3 (below) & gave the opening screen. I could not go
further as my partner needs her machine for work.

Machine 3 (now my stepson's - formerly my old Debian box): Gave the
following error message:
"ISOLINUX 1.67/debian-cd 2002-05-14 isolinux: Failed to get sector size,
assuming 0800. Press a key to retry". Pressing a key achieved nothing.

Gavin.