[Sussex] RPM hell

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Fri Aug 15 00:18:00 UTC 2003

Hi all,

Having a need to be able to save work in M$ Office formats from time to
time has got me trying to install an RPM of Star Office 5.2 from an old
SUSE 7 CD that came with Linux Format.

I've got RPM & Alien installed on Debian. When I try to install (rpm -i
...) the RPM of Star Office, I just get a load of failed dependencies. I
take it from this that I am doing something really crap & missing an
important step. Unfortunately, man rpm, although giving a good list of
options, is somewhat opaque about exactly what needs to be done.

Any help would be appreciated. In the meantime, I'll be marvelling at the
wonderful ease of dselect, apt-get & dpkg.

TIA

Gavin