[Sussex] /cdrom question

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Fri Aug 22 00:07:00 UTC 2003

Hi all,

In the course of installing Star Office yesterday, I ran a file search for
"so*" & accidentally found a file "/dev/sonycd".

I'm just wondering if this might be connected in some way to my machine's
problems in reading the Debian 3 CDs.. Or it might be nothing to do with it
at all.

I checked /dev/cdrom & it is pointing to cdrom (audio CDs & every data CD
apart from the Debian 3 CDs work fine). I haven't yet tried recording
anything onto CD (I do have the ide-scsi module present).

So, when I right clicked on the /dev/sonycd file in Gnome Programme Manager
& selected Properties, it said it was a "block device" & was in the group
"cdrom". The icon for /dev/sonycd looks like the inside of a Hard Disc &
there are many files with this icon present in /dev & some other
directories.

What I'm not sure about, is whether this /dev/sonycd is in some way
influencing my CD-R, which isn't a Sony CD at all - it's a Philips CDD3610
CDR/RW.

Any thoughts welcome,

Gavin.