[Sussex] The woes of trying to install Debian woody.

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Aug 29 12:16:00 UTC 2003

Well,

So far, it's taken me a mere 3 hours yesterday (+ various stupid questions at
the moot), and about 4 hours today, to establish that I still haven't got a
clue what I am doing.

To date, I have followed the instructions and tried installing everything
using the D instruction in deslect. Failed.

Tried doing the same with tasksel. Failed

Tried doing the former in dselect, but only installing kdebase - in the hope
that it will install Xwindows as a dependency. Failed

Tried again with the tasksel but only selecting Xwindows and graphical
environments. Failed

As above, but only selecting X windows. Failed.

I have tried most of these by either logging in to command prompt and doing
either #/$ tasksel or dselect, also by completely re-installing the base
configuration.

I can't get the system to start kde, or startx, or any other start for that
matter - when I try these I get various

(II) advice/info

The final one being about the nvidia drivers that I select, except the card
type info stops at GeForce 3 etc etc - mine is a GeForce 4 MX 420

But always at the bottom I get
(EE)No devices detected

Fatal Server Error
No screens found

This is followed by some info about bug reports then

X connection to :0.0 Broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

Does anyone have any ideas what I am probably doing wrong?

Oh and for info, when it comes to the monitor selection stuff, I have to
select "simple" as I can't get the info out of the system for any other
monitor info - I just have to tell the system that it's a 21 inch monitor and
uses the nvidia drivers

regards

John D.