[Sussex] The woes of trying to install Debian woody.

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at krasnegar.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 30 07:21:01 UTC 2003

Hi John

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 01:19:36PM +0100, John D. wrote:
> On Friday 29 Aug 2003 1:20 pm, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 12:15, John D. wrote:
> > > But always at the bottom I get
> > > (EE)No devices detected
> > >
> > > Fatal Server Error
> > > No screens found
> > >
> > > This is followed by some info about bug reports then
> > >
> > > X connection to :0.0 Broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)
> >
> > Had a similar problem with Gentoo when I emerged X, basically, go
> > through ./xf86configurator and setup your screen there, then check the
> > path to startx, then try it, it worked for me... :p
> >
> > Matt
>
> Well I tried to run the xf86config, and had to answer all of the questions on
> a "hit or miss" basis as I have been unable to extract the various parts of
> information via either mandrake or windows.
>
> At the end, it didn't matter whether I got the answers right or wrong as it
> wouldn't open or write the info to the xf86 config file.
>
> any other Ideas

First I would like to make sure that you have the approprate xserver
installed.  To do that I need to make sure that your configured right.

Please edit /etc/apt/sources.list and change it to look like the
following (as root):

-------- Cut here ------------------
deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US/main non-US/contrib non-US/non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
-------- Cut here ----------

Then type the following commands:
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install xserver-xfree86

This will set you up to use the use the new Xserver that (from the
quick search of the Net I just did) support your card.

If you can't get it working with that then try "XFree86 -probeonly"
and post the output here.  It might help.

Failing that where do you live?  I'm trying to install a old SGI MIPS
machine over my sloooooooow modem.  If you have ADSL I'm be round in
a shot to help (with extra kit - just for testing you understand :-)

Bathquake, n.:
	The violent quake that rattles the entire house when the water
	faucet is turned on to a certain point.
		-- Rich Hall, "Sniglets"