[Sussex] I have a cunning plan...

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Wed Dec 3 14:03:10 UTC 2003

Matthew,

I was a conference speaker at "UKHA2003" (UK Home Automation), so have more
than a passing interest in this.

The normal practice seems to for the house to poll a POP3 mailbox, and act
on the information contained therein. I have to admit, my own house is, erm,
controllable by IRC using a bot :-)

Easiest way to boil the kettle from a PC would be to control the mains using
something like X-10. You would need two bits of hardware:

- An "appliance module" which is a plug-in device that sits between your
kettle and the wall
- A "CM12" computer control module which plugs into a serial port and
controls relays

X-10 works by modulating control signals onto the mains, and the hardware is
fully CE approved, so legal/safety concerns.

The software you'd need would be something like

- xAP-CM12 which is available (somewhere) on www.xapautomation.org
- xAP-POP3, the poller
- A basic script to parse the POP3 output (something like xAP-in-a-box would
do, but overkill)

xAP is an OpenSource protocol for home automation info. Oh, and it's an
OpenSource project I'm heavily into.

If you fancy a trip over to Maidenbower to see "the automated home in
action", let me know.... Alternatively, if you've got broadband, you can see
"The Mark Harrison Video" at
http://www.broadbandbritainchallenge.co.uk/videos_broadband_user_stories.html

This video was sponsored by BT, hence I had to bang on about how broadband
made it easier :-) ... but it does show what's straightforward to do these
days.

Regards,

Mark