[Sussex] Linux for the mother-in-law?

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Fri Dec 5 00:28:29 UTC 2003

For your (not too serious) consideration, if you have time:

For the moment hypothetical, but if Win98 munches its vxd files again, she
may be interested.

Points to consider: My mother-in-law is very nice & kind.
She is a bit scared of computers (so am I when they've got Win98 on them!).
She wants to be able to print nice pics of her grandchildren.

My own thoughts at the moment:
Something like Mandrake looks good & is easy in the beginning, but I fell
out with it when I wanted to add software.

If I installed Debian for her & got it set up nicely, I don't think she
would find it difficult. (But then I'm very biased). It isn't lost on me
that I often forget things like commands because once Debian is configured,
is just works.

Any other thoughts?

Gavin.