[Sussex] tail -f fifo

Alan J Fitton alan at loonix.net
Fri Dec 12 20:14:28 UTC 2003

> Its the same with slackware 8.1 (2.4.18 kernel) with fileutils 4.0 &
> textutils 2.0
>
> Under RedHat 7.3, I get:
> one
> two
> tail: test: file truncated
> tail: test: cannot seek to offset 0: Illegal seek
>
> That's with textutils 2.0.21 and fileutils 4.1
>
> Now why does it work in RH, but not in Slackware? Perhaps Patrick
> Volkerding would know?

Hmm, I wonder what's different between the slackware tail and the one in
Redhat... I thought they both used the same basic coreutils (fileutils and
textutils combined). I've dropped a mail to Pat about it, hopefully we'll
get an answer sometime soon. He's usually pretty quick, been mentioned in
the changelog a few times :)