[Sussex] Installing Gentoo - more questions

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Dec 13 16:19:10 UTC 2003

Hi List,

Well, believe it or not, it appears that I have managed to get a basic install
of gentoo, but have come across a couple of snags.

Firstly, when I got the installing a bootloader, I did the stuff that the
install guide suggests, but when running /sbin/lilo it told me that it was
unable to work out which video adapter to use, but it still added gentoo and
windows (because of the previous questions that I've asked you all, I decided
that it might be better if I installed the gentoo stuff first, and just boot
my mandrake install from a floppy - which seems to be working!).

Video adapter? is this to do with configuring X or installing nvidia drivers
maybe ??

Also, when I was adding passwords for root and user, I went off into "cloud
cuckoo land", and just used the ubiquitious mix of numbers, letters and
punctuation signs - BUT, like the total nugget that I am, I totally forgot
that I was installing with the default US keyboard. And of course, if you're
having to blindly follow the install guide, because you haven't really got a
clue what you're doing, you set complicated passwords before you modify some
of the basic settings in /etc/rc.conf (little things like uk.map.gz for the
keyboard setting :?) as a result, I'm the nugget who can't log in as either
root or user, because I can't find out what the key map equivalent's are
between US and UK keyboard settings.

Can someone tell me if, and how I would log in as a "single" user so I can
allocate a new password to root ? or do you know of any links that I can
check/compare so I know what keys I need to actually use to get logged in so
I can see if I can then change the respective passwords ??

More Q's later, as it would probably be better if I got the basic's sorted out
first :p

regards

John D.