[Sussex] ECDL (a rant about an exam I don't plan on taking...)

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Wed Dec 17 17:17:42 UTC 2003

Matt Wrote
> All,
>
> My dad is currently studying for the ECDL (MS Word) and it has questions
> along the lines of:
>
> 1. Create a word document in which to store names and addresses for a
> mail merge
> 2. draw a graphic using the tools on the "draw" toolbar
> 3. Create a slide for a presentation with the following headings...
>
> I have been wondering for ages why people use Word for everything, and
> now I know it is because they are taught to do so whilst taking an exam.
>
> Surely it's not too much to ask that they are taught to use a word
> processor for word processing, a spreadsheet for numerical data
> evaluation, a database for applications such as contacts and products
> and a presentation package for presentations?
>
> I realise that the ECDL is recognised and valued by employers, but it's
> teaching people to use a screwdriver to put in a nail.  It only works if
> you turn it upside down and use brute force...
>
> My £0.02,

I got shoved into doing this by the job center while I was unemployed how stupid are they but they said I needed to do a cause. What they try and do is teach you what the different things mean, ones out a short bit of training could let you use anything.
I would agree for the purpose Excel or access is better for storing mail merge data.

For the record I the exams after a quick recap of M$ office and passed all of them in the same day. They were not pleased that was meant to last at least 4 weeks.

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message. In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.