[Sussex] Embedded help - Is 802.11b an LLC standard under 802.3?

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Wed Dec 17 18:45:42 UTC 2003

Dumb question here...

I understand 802.3 packets. Specifically, I understand how to frame an IP,
ARP or RARP packet into 802.3 ethernet.

My question is, how does that map to 802.11b?

I've sort of implicitly been assuming that 802.11b is a sub-standard of the
Data level, and sits under 802.3 LLC... This assumption has served me to
date, because I've been living up at the UDP / TCP levels and not needed to
worry....

... but the natural implication of this would be that 802.11b MAC addresses
are in a flat space together with 802.2. Is this actually correct?

The reason I ask is that I've got an interesting embedded system that uses
embedded 802.11b chipsets to discuss tomorrow, and I want to ensure that I'm
keeping up with the lead architect :-)

Regards,

Mark