[Sussex] Kernel 2.6.0

john big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Dec 18 20:34:13 UTC 2003

On Thursday 18 December 2003 8:44 am, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> All,
>
> As many of you will know, this was released today, I'm downloading it
> now, and I'll hopefully be running it by the end of the day!
>
> Matt
> --

Ah ha,

the 2.6.0 kernel is something that various people have mentioned on the list
recently, and when I bear in mind the security warning from last week about
the vulnarability in 2.4.2xxx , that was corrected with the 2.4.23 kernel
releases,

I have no understanding as to what difference this will/could make to me, as I
don't seem to be able to find distro specific versions of either the 2.4.23
or 2.6.0 for either mandrake or gentoo to upgrade to, let alone knowing how I
would accomplish this,

does anyone have any links to "idiot proof" howto's as I am presuming that I
will have to get, non distro version(s) to install (do I recall Geoff
refering to such versions as vanilla ?)

regards

John D.