[Sussex] Kernel 2.6.0

Alan J Fitton alan at loonix.net
Thu Dec 18 20:43:09 UTC 2003

> Ah ha,
>
> the 2.6.0 kernel is something that various people have mentioned on the list
> recently, and when I bear in mind the security warning from last week about
> the vulnarability in 2.4.2xxx , that was corrected with the 2.4.23 kernel
> releases,

The latest version of any series kernel should be considered stable and
secure. So right now, that is 2.4.23, 2.6.0 and even 2.2.25 for the people
who still use that. The difference is the features in them. It's unlikely
2.4.x and certainly 2.2.x will get any new interesting features, just bug
and security fixes.

> I have no understanding as to what difference this will/could make to me, as I
> don't seem to be able to find distro specific versions of either the 2.4.23
> or 2.6.0 for either mandrake or gentoo to upgrade to, let alone knowing how I
> would accomplish this,

Distributions probably won't upgrade to 2.6 until their next major
releases, but they should offer updated packages to 2.4.23, check their
security list archives.

> does anyone have any links to "idiot proof" howto's as I am presuming that I
> will have to get, non distro version(s) to install (do I recall Geoff
> refering to such versions as vanilla ?)

"vanilla" is the plain official kernel (from kernel.org), without any
unofficial patches, most distributions use these.

Hope this helps :)
Alan