[Sussex] Installing Gentoo - more questions

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Sat Dec 20 13:25:47 UTC 2003

 > Well, it seems that I'm buggered.
>
> If I look in my /etc/X11,
>
> there's file:/etc/X11/XF86Config
> file:/etc/X11/XF86Config.kxconfig.backup and
> file:/etc/X11/XF86Config.working
>
> and I have absolutely no idea how to check which is the one that is
> being  used.

X usually uses XF86Config first, unless you explicitly tell it not to. You
need to be careful though, if you have a different XF86Config in your home
directory, it will use that instead.

> I can also see xvidtune in the file:/etc/X11/app-defaults but what to do
> with  it, and how to use it remain a mystery. I've read a man page, but
> what would  be the correct/incorrect way to use it, is another mystery.
>
> Does anyone know of any good links or idiot guides that might explain
> please ?

There are two generic HOWTOs for XFree86, the first is very basic:
http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/XFree86-HOWTO/

The second explains what the Video timings are and more indepth stuff, but
the author thinks its probably obsolete:
http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO/
--
John