[Sussex] Perl

Geoff Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Mon Feb 10 20:10:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 19:32, Neil Ford wrote:

> Any awful lot of Perl developers would argue otherwise, but then like
> any religious war each side can claim they are right :-)
>
> I suspect Parrot and Perl 6 may well change the balance of power once
> again.
>
> Neil.
> (who doesn't code but does know an awful lot or Perl people and has had
> Randal Schwartz stay over)

Ultimately Perl's greatest strength is that it was the first of it's
kind and it's got a lot of developers using it and developing for it.
Syntax wise it's a question of preference - do you like your syntax
terse and powerful or long winded and powerful?

Really my point is, I advise people who are looking to learn a scripting
language to look at Python or Ruby rather than Perl just because I think
it'll be an easier road to achieve what they need.  If their primary
motivation was employment then I'd probably shift the balance to Perl
and Python.

--
Geoff Teale <tealeg at member.fsf.org>